Trailer fire leaves Lansing woman homeless

by B.J. Tomlinson
 
Maxine Dawn, who has lived at 120 Valley Street in Lansing for the past 22 years, smelled smoke at around 5 p.m. Thursday, March 5. Then she heard a whooshing noise and turned off the thermostat. The mobile home, heated with diesel fuel, filled with black smoke.
With the outdoor temperature at four degrees below zero, Dawn, in her nightclothes, ran across the street and yelled at neighbor John Gage, who gave her a jacket, and Lorie Gage called the Lansing Fire Department. Dawn and her neighbors watched as the home was consumed with thick black smoke and flames.
In addition to the mobile home and its contents, Dawn’s car, which was parked next to the trailer, was also destroyed.
Police officer Conrad Rosendahl, who was on the scene, said the Fire Department arrived at around 5:20 p.m. and worked for two hours to get the fire under control. Rosendahl said that fire personnel were unable to enter the trailer and the New Albin Fire Department was called to provide foam protection.
Dawn is currently staying with a friend but will need help finding permanent housing and replacing personal items.

Rate this article: 
Average: 4 (2 votes)