What's up at the FSA Office?

by Joyce Davidshofer, Allamakee County Executive Director

(563) 568-2148

The next Allamakee County Committee meeting will be announced at a later date.

May 15-August 2, 2016: Nesting season on CRP ground. Please contact the county office before you do anything in regards to noxious weeds etc.
CRP producers who will need to conduct Mid Contract Management activity, the deadline is May 14, 2016. If there is a situation this cannot be completed by this date, please call the county office as soon as possible. Example: Seed is not available.
May 30, 2016 - Closed Memorial Day
May 31, 2016 - Last day to obtain a commodity nine-month loan for 2015 for Corn, Dry Peas, Grain Sorghum, Lentils, Mustard Seed, Rice, Safflower Seed, Chickpeas, Soybeans, Sunflower Seed.
If you have any questions on these reminders, please contact the Allamakee County FSA Office.

2016 ARC/PLC Program Sign-Up
The county office is conducting the 2016 ARC/PLC applications at this time. The sign-up deadline is August 1, 2016. Please call ahead if you will be stopping in the office. This will shorten the time in the office and gives staff time to prepare the forms. If you have any questions, please contact the office at 563-568-2148.

2016 Crop Certification
In order to comply with FSA program eligibility requirements, all producers are encouraged to visit the Allamakee County FSA office to file an accurate crop certification report by the applicable deadline.
The following acreage reporting dates are applicable for Allamakee County:
July 15, 2016 - All crops.
The following exceptions apply to the above acreage reporting dates:
• If the crop has not been planted by the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 15 calendar days after planting is completed.
• If a producer acquires additional acreage after the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 30 calendars days after purchase or acquiring the lease. Appropriate documentation must be provided to the county office.
• If a perennial forage crop is reported with the intended use of “cover only,” “green manure,” “left standing,” or “seed,” then the acreage must be reported by July 15.

Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) policy holders should note that the acreage reporting date for NAP covered crops is the earlier of the dates listed above or 15 calendar days before grazing or harvesting of the crop begins.
For questions regarding crop certification and crop loss reports, please contact the Allamakee County FSA office at 563-568-2148.

FSA Signature Policy
Using the correct signature when doing business with FSA can save time and prevent a delay in program benefits. The following are FSA signature guidelines:
• Spouses may sign documents on behalf of each other for FSA and CCC programs in which either has an interest, unless written notification denying a spouse this authority has been provided to the county office.
• Spouses shall not sign on behalf of each other as an authorized signatory for partnerships, joint ventures, corporations, or other similar entities.

Maintaining The Quality Of Loaned Grain
Bins are ideally designed to hold a level volume of grain. When bins are overfilled and grain is heaped up, airflow is hindered and the chance of grain spoilage increases.
Producers who take out marketing assistance loans and use the farm-stored grain as collateral should remember that they are responsible for maintaining the quality of the grain through the term of the loan.

Unauthorized Disposition Of Grain
If loan grain has been disposed of through feeding, selling or any other form of disposal without prior written authorization from the county office staff, it is considered unauthorized disposition. The financial penalties for unauthorized dispositions are severe and a producer’s name will be placed on a loan violation list for a two-year period. Always call before you haul any grain under loan.

Breaking New Ground
Agricultural producers are reminded to consult with FSA and NRCS before breaking out new ground for production as doing so without prior authorization may put a producer’s federal farm program benefits in jeopardy. This is especially true for land that must meet Highly Erodible Land (HEL) and Wetland Conservation (WC) provisions.
Producers with HEL determined soils must apply tillage, crop residue and rotation requirements as specified in their conservation plan.

Producers should notify FSA prior to conducting land clearing or drainage projects to ensure compliance. If you intend to clear any trees to create new cropland, these areas will need to be reviewed to ensure any work will not risk your eligibility for benefits.

Landowners and operators can complete form AD-1026 for Highly Erodible Land Conservation (HELC) and Wetland Conservation (WC) Certification to determine whether a referral to the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is necessary.