Sunday fire at Kee High/Lansing Middle School will impact second floor access

Sunday afternoon, November 12, shortly after 3 p.m., fire alarms in the Kee High/Lansing Middle School building detected smoke in the second story of the building, and first responders from the Lansing Rural Fire Protection District and Lansing Emergency Medical Services (EMS) were quickly dispatched to the scene. A small electrical fire in the second floor boys restroom was quickly extinguished, preventing it from spreading any further but causing some damage to the bathroom area and some smoke damage within the building.

The Eastern Allamakee Community School District (EACSD) already had no classes scheduled for the following day, Monday, November 13, due to a professional development day planned prior to the start of the district’s second trimester Tuesday, November 14, when classes were still anticipated to resume, despite the fire. The most recent update from EACSD officials explained that ServiceMaster has been performing “a thorough cleaning of the hall and rooms on the second floor south wing of the building, as the other parts of the building are not affected due to the quick response of fire staff.”

It was further noted that the classrooms in that second floor hallway will temporarily be moved down into first floor classrooms through the upcoming Thanksgiving Break. “We anticipate being able to return to those (second floor) rooms after break,” the update further explained. “In order to re-open (the second floor), all ceiling tiles must be replaced and the fire alarm company, Banko, will replace all sensors. Until that time, the affected portion of the building will be sealed off from student use.”