What's Up at the USDA Office?

Upcoming Deadlines/Dates
May 15 - August 1: CRP Primary Nesting Season
July 4: Office Closed – Independence Day
July 12: End of July Continuous CRP Batching Period
July 15: Certification/Acreage Reporting Deadline for FY24
August 1: Nomination Period for COC Election in LAA

Last Call, Don’t Miss Opportunities
Agricultural producers in Allamakee County who have not yet completed their crop acreage reports after planting should make an appointment before the applicable deadline of July 15, 2024.

An acreage report documents a crop grown on a farm or ranch and its intended uses. Filing an accurate and timely acreage report for all crops and land uses, including failed acreage, and prevented planted acreage, can prevent the loss of benefits.

When filing a crop acreage report, producers need to provide:
• Crop and crop type or variety.
• Intended use of the crop.
• Number of acres of the crop.
• Map with approximate boundaries for the crop.
• Planting date(s).
• Planting pattern, when applicable.
• Producer shares.
• Irrigation practice(s).
• Acreage prevented from planting, when applicable.
• Other information as required.

Prevented planting acreage must be reported on form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, no later than 15 calendar days after the final planting date as established by FSA and USDA’s Risk Management Agency.

FSA offers continuous certification for perennial forage. This means after perennial forage is reported once and the producer elects continuous certification, the certification remains in effect until a change is made. Check with FSA at the local USDA Service Center for more information on continuous certification.

As a reminder, a vast majority of USDA programs are based on acreage reporting. If you wish to participate and be eligible for future programs, please get this simple task taken care of.

USDA Announces Availability of Low-Interest Physical Loss Loans for Allamakee County Producers Impacted by Recent Severe Weather
Physical loss loans through the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) can help producers repair or replace damaged or destroyed physical property essential to the success of the agricultural operation, including livestock losses. Examples of property commonly affected include essential farm buildings, fixtures to real estate, equipment, livestock, perennial crops, fruit and nut bearing trees, and harvested or stored crops and hay.
Administrator Notification Code: N1720
Application Deadline: February 10, 2025
Triggering Disaster: High winds that occurred on May 21, 2024.
Primary Counties Eligible: Primary County located in Minnesota
Contiguous Counties Also Eligible: Allamakee, Winneshiek (Iowa)

More Resources
On farmers.gov, the Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool, Disaster Assistance-at-a-Glance fact sheet, and Loan Assistance Tool can help you determine program or loan options. To file a Notice of Loss or to ask questions about available programs, contact your local  USDA Service Center.

File a Notice of Loss for Failed and Prevented Planted Acres
USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) reminds you to report prevented planted and failed acres in order to establish or retain FSA program eligibility for some programs.

You should report crop acreage you intended to plant, but due to natural disaster, were prevented from planting. Prevented planting acreage must be reported on form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, no later than 15 calendar days after the final planting date as established by FSA and the Risk Management Agency (RMA). The final planting date for Corn is May 31 and Soybeans is June 15.

Additionally, if you have failed acres, you should also use form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, to report failed acres. For hand-harvested crops and certain perishables, you must notify FSA of damage or loss through the administrative county office within 72 hours of the date of damage or loss first becomes apparent. This notification can be provided by filing a CCC-576, email, fax or phone. If you notify the County Office by any method other than by filing the CCC-576, you are still required to file a CCC-576, Notice of Loss, within the required 15 calendar days.

For losses on crops covered by the Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP), you must file a Notice of Loss within 15 days of the occurrence of the disaster or when losses become apparent.  You must timely file a Notice of Loss for failed acres on all crops including grasses.

Applying for Youth Loans
The Farm Service Agency (FSA) makes loans to youth to establish and operate agricultural income-producing projects in connection with 4-H clubs, FFA and other agricultural groups. Projects must be planned and operated with the help of the organization advisor, produce sufficient income to repay the loan and provide the youth with practical business and educational experience. The maximum loan amount is $5,000.
Youth Loan Eligibility Requirements:
• Be a citizen of the United States (which includes Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands) or a legal resident alien
• Be 10 years to 20 years of age
• Comply with FSA’s general eligibility requirements
• Conduct a modest income-producing project in a supervised program of work as outlined above
• Demonstrate capability of planning, managing and operating the project under guidance and assistance from a project advisor. The project supervisor must recommend the youth loan applicant, along with providing adequate supervision.

For help preparing the application forms, contact your local Farm Loan Manager, Shelby Richards, at 563-382-8777 or visit fsa.usda.gov.